How to update your gender marker on SSN and US Passport
Process Guides
October 5, 2020

How to update your gender marker on SSN and US Passport

Hello dear readers. We are back with important information for you! This time we will walk you through the process of updating your gender marker on your social security card and on your passport.

As we said before, updating your birth certificate or your driver’s license will neither automatically change your Social Security Number nor provide you with a new social security card. You will not get a US passport automatically either. We know this might sound exhausting, but we are here to guide you through and bring better news. In order to update your social security card and your passport you must do so independently. Let's show you how:

Social Security Card Update:

To update your social security card you will need to present some evidence of your who you are, your gender and you will have to complete an Application for a Social Security Card. Let's go through each step of the process:

To change your gender on Social Security's records you will have to:

      1. Prove your identity: present your U.S. driver's license; state-issued non-driver identification card; or U.S. passport.

Remember: we can help you to get your new U.S driver’s license in Colorado. Click here to see how.

Please know that if you do not have any of these documents the Administration might require you to present either: a) employee identification card; b)school identification card; c) health insurance card (not a Medicare card); or d) U.S. military identification card.

      2. Prove your gender: they will want to see either a

  • Full-validity, 10-year U.S. passport showing the new gender;
  • State-issued amended birth certificate showing the new gender;
  • Court order directing legal recognition of change of gender; or
  • Medical certification of appropriate clinical treatment for gender transition in the form of an original letter from a licensed physician.

      The document must have enough biographical data (e.g., name and date of birth) to clearly identify you.

Remember: we can help you to get your Colorado- issued amended birth certificate showing your new gender. Click here to see how.

      3.  Prove your U.S. citizenship or immigration status: you have to present either: a) U.S. birth certificate; or U.S. passport. Note that If you haven’t established your citizenship with the Administration, and you are foreign-born, they will ask to see proof of U.S. citizenship. These documents include: U.S. passport, Certificate of Naturalization (N-550/N-570), Certificate of Citizenship (N-560/N-561), Certification of Report of Birth (DS-1350), Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240), CRBA.

With all your documents ready you just have to fill an Application for a Social Security Card and take or mail your completed application and documents to your local Social Security office or your local Social Security Card Center. With that procedure fully completed you will get your social security card replacement.

Passport Update:

But wait a second. What about traveling with your loved ones? You will definitely need to update your passport too. To update the gender designation on your American passport, federal law is still a bit behind. For a passport renewal procedure, they require to have an “appropriate clinical treatment” for transitioning from a medical provider and the lengths of time for which your passport is valid depends upon your stage in the transition.

Submit the following documentation in person or by mail to your nearest Passport Acceptance Facility: complete a Passport Application (Application for a US passport). Submit an ID that resembles your current appearance, medical certification from a licensed physician, proof of legal name change (if applicable).

Please be mindful that even if Colorado’s Dana Zzyym’s court victory allowed them the right to have a passport that accurately reflects their identity, having X designation passports is still being discussed in the courts.

We are optimistic, aiming to see the federal government follow Dana Zzym’s court victory. The last thing we will lose is hope. Transgender rights must be treated as a priority, transgender rights are human rights. Please reach out if you have any questions. We are here to help you.

Continue Reading

Sign up for A2J Forms Newsletter

Updates on our projects